Sunday, August 19, 2012

Meeting The Family



Friday morning we’re driven to school for orientation. It’s this medium sized house-like structure somewhere in Chiang Mai. There’s one air conditioned room which can hold all 28 of our class, as well as four small instruction rooms upstairs. We have a library and computers to use, a dining area complete with rock wall, and some outdoor space with a slackline set up along the edge. Another program started by Ajaan Mark is Crossfit Chiang Mai, so there’s an open aired crossfit gym about 5 paces from the dining area. ISDSI describes themselves as a college-level Montessori school, mixed with outward-bound. This is my kind of school.

This photo is for Julia & Ginny :)

By 5 pm orientation is over and we’re all eagerly awaiting meeting our host families. We’ve learned how give a wai, the Thai greeting and sign of respect. With hands infront in a prayer-like position, you bow the head (not the torso! My host family had me practice a few times at home and corrected me). While doing this, you say “sa-wa-dee-kha” which means hello, how are you, greetings friend, goodbye – whatever the situation happens to permit, it fits (of course if you’re a male, you would say “sa-wa-dee-krab”)

Finally, my family arrives and I greet them as such. They’re delighted that I knew how to wai (a bastardized version of it, but I’ll get better). My host-mom and dad and I get in the car and we’re on our way home. There we find my two sisters, Fang and Fern. Fang is 20 and older than me, thus she’s called Pi-Fang. Fern is younger, but I’m not sure quite how young, maybe 17, and so I call her Nong-Fern. These titles are done as a sign of respect, and so there is no question as to who is the superior to whom.

A note on Thai driving: They drive on the left side of the street, though if you think it will be faster to drive against traffic, go ahead and do so. If you want to pass someone, you can use the shoulder, or simply drive in it for miles as an extra lane. If you’re in the process of passing someone and there’s oncoming traffic, everyone just scoots over and makes the middle a third lane. Also, they don’t wear seat belts. I put mine on by habit once, so my host family followed, but otherwise they’re never worn.

My host father speaks some English, enough to ask “you speak Thai?” a couple of times, “want food?” and “you take a bath and go to bed”. Alright, I guess I’m going to bed now. My mother speaks absolutely no English, except the name of our cat is Garfield, very appropriately named for color. Fang either doesn’t know any or is too shy to try speaking it in front of me, but Fern is my usual translator. She’s not fluent, but she’s the best I’ve got when I know NO Thai. I think she’s shy as well, speaking English to a native English speaker.

The entrance of the house. My father is a police officer, and I'm pretty sure we're upper-middle class by Thai standards. I've only been to one other house though, so don't quote me on that.
The first night was a little awkward. I didn’t know what to do with myself and Fern didn’t arrive home till late from something, so there was a lot of staring at one another. I did help peel garlic, and found out that my host-mom is an absolutely delicious cook! I’m still not always sure what I’m eating, but I make sure to try everything (even if it sets my mouth on fire). After each bite my family stares at me wondering how it is. It’s a little awkward, but then again so is living in a house with people you don’t know who don’t speak the same language, who don’t shower the same way, who don’t eat the same way, or dress the same, or anything the same. I’m adjusting, and so are they.

1 comment:

  1. Mikki gave me your blog address... so now I'm playing catch up on your trip :) This is so interesting and sounds like your having an awesome experience and learning so much!

    ReplyDelete