Saturday, August 25, 2012

Let's Climb a Mountain


Our first outdoor excursion as a class was to hike to Doi Suthep, a famous temple on top of a mountain near Chiang Mai. All being outdoorsy people, we were so excited to get going. We split up into two groups of 14 plus instructors, and started up the mountain. One of the first things we noticed were orange strips of monk robes tied to trees along the way. Our Thai instructors told us the monks do this to protect the trees. With the monks cloth, it would be incredibly sinful to cut down something now considered sacred. These cloths ensure that the trees will never be disturbed, and thus the forest and the path to the top will remain intact so long as those ties remain.

About two hours in we encounter a temple (not Doi Suthep). A stream flowing over large rocks, great plant life, and an amazing view accompany a welcomed break. We’re given time to explore before lunch and the second leg of the trip. My friend Kari (Michigan fan, boo!) and I venture into the wat and decide to give Thai customs a try. We take off our shoes and step over (not on) the threshold. We sit down with our legs folded to the side and wai (pronounced: why) the Buddha statue, then press our palms and foreheads to the ground three times, wai-ing in between, and ending in a wai.
Inside one of the temples. As you can see, one Buddha isn't enough. Wats have one large statue in the center, with many smaller ones beside and scattered throughout the room.

Kari and I resting on the rocks. You can see some awesome greenery in the background!
On our way out we realize a group of farang (tourists) were watching us, while the Thai tour guide was explaining what we were doing. He asks in English where we were from, and I answer pratheet saharat America, in Thai. He asks if we know Thai and I say nit noy, a little bit. He asks how many of us there are, and I tell him yi sit baat, 28. The tourists loved that I spoke Thai, the Thai seemed pleasantly surprised I could speak Thai, and Kari admitted she was impressed I responded to quickly in Thai. It was a proud moment. :D

I wai’d a monk, and he gave me the best smile. We explored and found a HUGE spider, and I only jumped when it moved. It moved because I blew on the web wanting to see it move… I’ve had smarter ideas. After some more looking around we all sit down on some rocks and enjoy sticky rice, chicken, chili paste, and a banana for lunch as we converse and look out at the amazing view.
 
Quiet contemplation, enjoying the view.
Not long after lunch I dropped my camera in the current of water. Being on smooth rock, it got swept down quickly. I crawled as fast as I dared, trying to grab it but was just out of reach every time. Aaron saves the day as he bids for it, snatching it right before it falls off the edge of the rock we’re on. Best. Person. Ever. (okay, maybe an exaggeration, but he is pretty cool AND he saved my camera). Consequently, that is where my pictures end for the day. No worries though, my camera survived without any known problems!


So we take off and are back up the mountain. Being Thailand, it’s raining. And we’re walking up slippery, smooth, red soil/clay. It was SO uncomfortably humid the rest of the hike, but eventually we made it! Doi Suthep! I used a squat toilet (commonly called squatty potty by the English speaking population in Thailand) for the first time… not hard, but it does splash a little :/
 




Doi Suthep is BEAUTIFUL! But full of tourists, which I feel takes away from its meaning. I realize I’m a tourist, but as one of my friends put it, we didn’t just take a bus up the mountain to take some pictures of some other peoples temple. We hiked the mountain with Thai guides, dressed appropriately, are learning the language, and respected the temple regardless of our own religions. We are not from Thailand, but we’re doing our best to act like natives and respect the people who live here. We saw foreigners breaking all kinds of cultural rules while we were there, and it was upsetting. Tourism can commercialize and exploit a population into something it isn’t. The English signs, the ticket to get in, the souvenir shops along the way are all added for tourists who want to see something ‘cool’. None of this is necessary for those who practice Buddhism. It was a beautiful temple, but not nearly as great of an experience as the one I had this morning.
For that, read my next post: A Day Shane Would Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment